Friday, November 14, 2008

Etiquette...Week 12 Post 2

The etiquette rules are important in that many people are affected by cell phones, answering machines, conference calls, faxes, timing your communications, and screen names and ring tones. I feel the rule about cell phones is a bit ridiculous. I agree that no one should use their cell phone during a movie and what not but sometimes at a restaurant you do need to pick up the phone and talk or I will talk on the phone if I am waiting for someone to arrive. I do feel there should be more of a voice etiquette when talking about cell phones. Many times I think that the loud obnoxious people on their phone drives me crazy but if someone is just chatting it doesn’t bother me. I do agree about the answering machines because I get really annoyed when someone plays music forever or they talk way too long on their machines. Conference calls are beneficial in many situations especially in business situations where I feel as though the rule is very appropriate. The faxes rule is true because typically faxes should be very impersonal and usually are not private. I think call waiting is rude but necessary. I hate being put on hold but I think if there is a time limit than it is okay.

1 comment:

Darnisha said...

I agree with you about the answering machines. I think it's ridiculous and listening to them is an absolute waste of time. However, when people are on their phones around me, for some reason, I get really on edge and absolutely hate it. I find it rude for some reason, and much rather hope they would stop. However, after working for a company where having a cell phone is vital, I can understand why some people have the need to have phone conversations around other people. Sometimes you just need to be reached.