Friday, October 3, 2008

Do Men and Women use Language Differently?...Week 6 Post 2

I completely agree with Deborah Tannen that women and men communicate differently. Every example she gave in the book reminded me of my boyfriend and I. I feel that women and men are different in many ways from anatomy to how we go about dealing with a situation. Men and women use language differently when it comes to personal relationships to how each interacts with their friends. In personal situations I feel as though men hate to be asked questions when it comes to the details and things that most women find important and men find to be burdensome. Also men and women typically use language differently when communicating with children. A lot of times when a child gets hurt women use nurturing comforting words and men will use the attitude of its alright but don't cry and toughen up. I couldn't begin to go over all the ways that we use language differently but there is no doubt in my mind that we do.

No comments: